Contacts / Connections
Communities / Discussions
General | Top
Q: What is my username/password?
A: If this is your first time logging in you will need to first reset your password. Please click here
and enter your email address. If you have an account, you will receive an email with a link to reset your password. If you do not receive an email, please click here to request an account
Q: How do I control what information is visible in My Profile?
Contacts / Connections | Top
A: Please navigate to your profile page, then select the "My Account
" tab and choose "Privacy Settings
" from the drop-down menu. This will let you control what information is visible to whom. After you’ve made changes, click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
Q: How do I find other members?
A: Click the Network link found in the main navigation bar and select User Directory
. The Directory lets you search for other users based on:
- First and/or last name
- Company/Institution name
- Email address
Switch to the “Advanced Search” tab to refine your search results by:
Q: How do I add contacts to my contact list?
A: Simply click the button below on the desired contact’s profile page or from the search results from the directory
Q: Why should I add contacts to my contact list?
A: Creating this virtual address book makes it easy to send your contacts messages through the community site to stay in touch, ask questions or build your network. Additionally, when you view another user’s profile, you’ll be able to see any contacts you have in common. You can also choose to let your contacts view certain demographics in your profile that others can't.
Communities / Discussions | Top
Q: What are communities?
A: Communities allow you to participate in discussions and share resources with other users.
Q: What communities do I already belong to?
A: Go to “Communities” in the main navigation bar. Select “My Communities” to view the communities you currently belong to.
Q: How do I join/subscribe to a community and the affiliated discussion group?
A: Click on “Communities” in the main navigation and click on “All Communities” in order to see a list of available communities. Click on the community that you wish to join and click "Join," then choose a delivery option for posts (Real Time, Daily Digest or No Email).
Q: How can I control the frequency and format of emails I receive?
A: Navigate to your profile and click on the "My Account
" tab. Choose "Community Notifications
" from the drop-down menu. On that page, there are subscription options: Real Time, Daily Digest, No Email.
For each discussion, you have the following delivery options:
- Real time: sends an email every time a new message is posted.
- Daily digest: sends one email to you each day, consolidating all of the posts from the previous day.
- No Email: allows you to be part of the group without having emails sent to you. You can still post and read others’ messages by logging into the community site.
Q: How do I leave a community or unsubscribe from a discussion?
A: Go to your profile and click on the "My Account
" tab. Choose "Community Notifications
" from the drop-down menu. Here, you will see a list of available communities and those to which you’ve subscribed. Select "Leave Community” under the Actions column for the discussions you wish to leave.
Q: How do I respond to others’ posts?
A: To respond to a discussion post, please navigate to the discussion post and click “Reply to Discussion” to send your message to the entire community. To send a message to the only author of the post, please select “Reply to Sender” (located in the "Reply to Discussion" drop-down).
You can also respond to discussion in digest emails if you are subscribed to the community. Select the “Reply to Group” button to respond through email or “Reply to Group Online” to respond in your web browser.
Q: How do I start a new discussion thread?
A: There are three ways to start a new discussion thread.
1. From the navigation bar select “Participate" > “Post a message.” This will allow you to post in any community you belong to.
2. When in a community you can click the POST TO THIS DISCUSSION button to post a new message in that community.
3. From an email (HTML version) for a particular discussion forum, you can use the “Post Message” link located at the top of the discussion email.
Q: I’m having trouble viewing the HTML email messages. How do I fix this?
A: If images are not appearing, it is likely that your email client is set to suppress images. This should be something you can change in your security or viewing options. If you would rather receive text-based email, go to your profile page and click on the "My Account
" tab. Choose "Community Notifications
" from the drop-down menu. Select the “Plain Text” format option for each of the discussions you are subscribed to.
Q: Can I search for posts across all the communities?
A: : Yes, please enter a keyword in the search bar located in the main navigation. To refine your search results, please select "Show Advanced Search".
Q: How do I see a listing of all of the posts to a specific Community?
A: Locate the community you are interested in viewing from either the All Communities or My Communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Discussions” tab. If you see a post you’re interested in, click the subject line which will take you to the entire thread. “Show Original Message” at the bottom of all of the posts in a thread will display the original message that started that discussion.
Resource Libraries| Top
Q: How do I find resources that may have been uploaded by other members?
A: If you know which resource library the resource might be located in, find the affiliated community via the All Communities or My Communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Resources” tab. If you do not know where the resource might be, enter search terms in the main search box the same way you might enter search terms into Google or another search engine.
Q: Can I search for specific file types?
A: Yes. Enter your desired keyword in the main search box. From the search results page, click "Show Advanced Search." Then click on “Search for Specific File Types.” This gives you the option to specify file type: Document, Image, Spreadsheet, etc.
Q: How do the Resource Libraries get populated?
A: The resource libraries are populated in two ways:
- When you include an attachment in a discussion post, the system automatically places it in the affiliated resource library.
- You can also upload documents directly to a resource library by using the “Share a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Resource Library Entry" button on any community's resource library page. Resources do not have to be associated with a discussion thread.
Q: How do I upload a file?
A: Select the “Share a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Resource Library Entry" on any community landing page. Please note that uploading a document is accomplished by completing a few steps, and each step must be completed before you can move on to the next:
- Choose a title for your document, and include a description (optional). Select the resource library to which you’d like to upload it, and select a folder to which you’d like to upload it (optional). Then, choose an Entry Type (most will be Standard Files, but be cognizant of any copyright licensed material). Once you have completed these steps, please click “Next.”
- Upload your file.
- Select “Next” if you want to further describe your files and/or add tags to your file. Otherwise, please click “Finish” to post your resource library entry
Q: What kind of files can I upload?
A: The system supports dozens of file types including hyperlinks, standard files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), webinars, images and YouTube videos.