Open Road Alliance is a hybrid philanthropic and investment initiative focused on advancing solutions to Keep Impact on Track.
ABOUT OPEN ROAD
Open Road eliminates funding delays and accelerates growth for impact-first companies. As an industry leader in providing short-term bridge loans, Open Road offers fast, flexible, and affordable financing to companies across geographies and sectors facing discrete, unforeseen financing gaps that threaten to derail their work.
From installing mini-grids in frontier markets in West Africa to addressing the challenges of financial inclusion for the emerging middle class in Colombia, our loans are designed to ensure that companies addressing the world's greatest challenges like climate change and inequality continue to scale during crucial moments of growth.
Since its founding in 2012, Open Road has loaned nearly $50 million to 125+ social impact organizations, keeping $500M of impact and follow-on financing into these ventures on track. For more, visit www.openroadalliance.org.
Reporting to the Senior Portfolio Manager, the Portfolio Associate will be a key member of the Social Investment team, and will support the execution, implementation and oversight of Open Road's portfolio monitoring, operations, and risk management activities across loan portfolios. Working closely with borrowers from closing through repayment, the Portfolio Associate will play a key role in developing credit risk and impact management tools and frameworks; tracking portfolio level risk; managing processes with problem credits; and portfolio reporting with a sharp eye to ensuring data integrity and timely reporting.
- Support the credit risk and impact management functions, including (i) development of credit risk and impact management tools and frameworks in collaboration with the Senior Portfolio Manager; (ii) provide oversight to the deal team, such that investments remain aligned with our risk appetite, impact thesis, and lending criteria.
- In collaboration with the Senior Data Systems Manager and Senior Portfolio Manager, actively monitor portfolio performance, ensure data quality, and support infrastructure build-out to generate and maintain monthly, quarterly and annual portfolio reports that are complete, accurate, and on-time.
- Work directly with borrowers and other co-lenders for special attention loan monitoring, borrower restructuring, and work-out processes. Analyze borrower financial information (financial model analysis and scenario building) and liaise with lending team and legal counsel to determine optimal strategy and recommend appropriate loan modifications.
- Support the due diligence and closing process, including (i) analysis of applicant's materials and financial information to support investment proposals; (ii) preparation of the final disbursement package and final disbursement request.
- Lead portfolio analysis projects (sector/market, macro-economic, social impact, or risk scorecard analysis, as needed) to identify trends or issues that might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies.
The successful candidate will have the ability to conduct detailed research and analysis that can result in constructive findings that would form the basis for addressing the root cause of problems. They will be detail and results oriented with strong self-motivation and a passion for impact. The ideal candidate will have the following professional experiences and skills.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree in relevant field a plus though not required;
- Three to five years of work experience, preferably in impact investing and/or finance specifically in credit risk or portfolio management (banking, CDFIs);
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, including accounting and financial analysis;
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel for financial modeling;
- A strong attention to detail with a passion for ensuring data quality and integrity;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written);
- Demonstrated passion for impact investing, social entrepreneurship and social impact;
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and "hands on" approach is a prerequisite.
As a 21st Century Office, we do not operate out of a fixed location. All employees work from home offices or shared workspaces, as appropriate. Bottom line, we encourage employees to work where they will be most effective, whether that is at a home office, external office space, coffee shop, or park bench. For its part, Open Road ensures that all employees have access to appropriate workspaces to facilitate maximum effectiveness and productivity.
The preferred location for this position is Washington DC, however Open Road does operate a remote work environment and all candidates will be considered based on their relevant qualifications. Must be able and willing to travel up to 20% for in-person meetings, conferences, and/or other events.
HOW TO APPLY
- Email résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ensure the subject states "Portfolio Associate - [YOUR NAME]".
- Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please allow up to six weeks to be contacted. We regret that we are not in a position to personally respond to all applicants.
- Applications received by March 4, 2022 will be given priority.
Open Road Alliance