Job Announcement: Director of Finance
The Louisville Housing Opportunities and Micro-Enterprise Community Development Loan Fund, Inc. (LHOME) is a mission-driven, non-profit Community Development Financial I (CDFI), certified by the U.S. Treasury. LHOME provides accessible, affordable loan products and financial coaching services to low-income small business owners, renters, and homeowners in Louisville, Kentucky.
LHOME is committed to serving the people and businesses of Louisville's low- and moderate-income census tracts, primarily the West and South End neighborhoods, and creating intergenerational wealth opportunities, particularly for Louisville's black and brown residents. Over three-quarters of LHOME clients are non-white, and over 90% reside in the historically underserved and discriminated sections of our city. In 2022, ninety-six (96%) of LHOME's small business loans were made to Black-owned businesses. LHOME's assets have grown from $120k in 2017, to just under $5M today. With a portfolio of $2 million and plans to rapidly expand to $10 million and beyond, LHOME is positioned to increase its footprint in furtherance of positive economic change in some of Louisville's most underserved communities.
The role of the Director of Finance is key to the strategic advancement of LHOME's expected growth, which will also require additional infrastructure development, fund raising, program (lending) expansion and long-term strategic planning.
At LHOME, we are a small team of 9, who care deeply for the mission. We value and respect the people and communities we serve and all those we work with. As a member of the LHOME team, you'll find a flexible working environment, including hybrid, remote and-in person options. The Director of Finance serves as an integral member of LHOME's leadership team and will work with all staff members to fully understand the financial needs and operational impacts of their work.
Through financial modeling and analysis, the Director of Finance will monitor the organization's financial health and will guide short-term and long-term financial strategy and decision making. In addition, the Director of Finance will be responsible for the performance and oversight of all accounting functions to ensure accounting procedures and policies are in accordance with GAAP, will oversee the annual audit and with the leadership team, develop an annual budget, and produce and present financial statements and performance reports to LHOME's Finance Committee and Board of Directors. As a burgeoning financial institution, the Director of Finance role is critical for LHOME; the leadership team is looking for a candidate that can orient themselves quickly and hit the ground running.
- Monitor the organization's financial health and inform and guide short-term and long-term financial decision making, including monthly cash flow statements and projections.
- Close monthly books. Review general ledger accounts by line item. Reconcile all balance sheet accounts to various subsidiary ledgers. Review income statement accounts for accuracy.
- Generate and ensure the accuracy of financial statements and provide analysis and reporting of the organization's financial position.
- Oversee daily financial operations to include: treasury, ACH transfers, reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, notes payable/receivable, and payroll processing. Monitor loan servicing transactions outsourced by contract.
- Oversee cash available at all times for lending and operations and reconcile this with the cash needs of lending and operating activities as well as upcoming investor payments.
- Lead and work with the leadership team to develop processes and policies regarding the strategic utilization of available funding, and funding projections.
- Prepare financial outlooks and forecasts, compiling reports monthly, and as needed.
- Work with the leadership team to question activity and projections to ensure accuracy of both the financial records and the projected results.
- Reconcile open grants on a monthly basis, perform allocations and release of restriction entries, ensuring all grants are spent as promised and activity is ready to be reported when required by the grant. This requires coordination with multiple parties to ensure all financial pieces are handled properly and remain in compliance with the grant. This can include researching and putting in place governmental requirements and procedures as needed. It will also include projection updates for monthly projection process as well as progress monitoring and reporting.
- Prepare financial reports for LHOME's current and prospective investors and grantors as needed.
- Strong financial acumen with the ability to create, review, analyze and report financial metrics and financial forecasting, with emphasis on cash management and projections.
- Bachelor's degree OR a minimum 10 years directly related/pertinent experience in finance and accounting. Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Experience in financial services, specifically lending to micro and small businesses.
- Experience with nonprofit accounting and operations a plus.
- Experience with the development and compliance of policies and procedures as they relate to finance, accounting and lending.
- Ability to write concisely, speak succinctly, and listen with care.
- Cultural Competency – knowledgeable of the values and practices that align client needs and satisfaction as primary considerations in organizational decision making.
- Demonstrated excellence in project management and timely completion.
- Proficient user of Microsoft O365 - Word, Excel, Teams, and Quick Books Online
- Superior organizational abilities and follow-through.
- The physical demands of the job are consistent with a typical office environment, and include the ability to lift up to 20 pounds on occasion,
- Ability to remain seated for long periods
- Ability to repeat the same movements for a long period of time, such as typing
- Ability to communicate clearly by voice, video conference, and face-to-face
- Hybrid – remote with periodic required in-office meetings.
Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Bookkeeper. Supervision may include some contracted professional service providers.
FLSA Status: Exempt / Salaried
Anticipated Salary: $90,000 - $110,000
Benefits: Medical, Dental and Vision coverage, Life Insurance. PTO and major holidays off including December 24 – December 31.
Please submit Resume AND Cover Letter to Mary Jo Shircliffe, Director of Operations, LHOME - firstname.lastname@example.org Resumes submitted without cover letter will not be considered.
LHOME is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics with respect to employment opportunities.